Tuesday, January 13, 2009

lost in translation.

So in our meeting last night I found out the only trip I want to go on is to Tunisia for spring break. Its a bit expensive but sounds magical. That was the one word the favored teacher on campus described it as. Absolutely "MAGICAL." It is a 10 day trip all over the country, where we will be learning a lot about Islam and its impact on women, as well as meeting with the American Embassador of Tunisia. Then we will be having lunch with students from the University of Tunis. Also, we were informed that all of the star wars movies were filmed in Tunisia and we will in fact be going to the THE star wars BAR there! So for all you Star Wars lovers out there, be jealous. I'm sure there is much more I am not remembering now, but when the time comes I will let you know the specific details.

After our meeting about 20 of us gathered to start getting ready for an evening out on the town, my first time out in downtown Rome. Trying to manage and organize 20 people to go out at the same time is nearly impossible. Trying to get a taxi to fit all of us there and back is impossible as well. We all drank some wine before we headed out and finally made it to our destination around midnight. Midnight on a Monday night we have been told is quite dull so our only option was Campo di Fiori. This Piazza is known to be where all the drunken Americans go, and where all the nasty Italian men stake out to attack the known vulnerable prey. I have minimal interest in going back to this place ever again. Although it can be fun, and the Monday night situation could have contributed to the strange environment, I would much rather go where fewer Americans inhabit themselves, and decent Italians reside. I had one beer which costs 6 Euros, cheapest one you will find, which is roughly a nine dollar Heiniken. Way too much for me. We were told about a fun bar crawl happening on Thursday so a bunch of us plan on attending that. We met a few Italian boys who many girls were drawn too while I just relaxed, drank some highly over priced beer, and soon after bought an Italian version of pizza--seemed like a panini to me. But who am I to say, the food was invented here wasn't it? On the way home we drove by St. Peters Basilica, it was stunningly beautiful. Me and several other girls got tears in our eyes to see such a historic sight, even if it was briefly.

I have also already and fairly rapidly might I add, become the one everyone "gives a lot of shit to." Sorry for my language, I know many adults could potentially be reading this but I am not quite sure how else to phrase it. But most of the adults who are reading this and ALL of my friends will know I tend to be this person of the group no matter what. But I find it funny how quickly these dynamics can develop even in a foreign country with not a soul who knew you before 5 days ago. I am constantly an easy target to be fun of for my little "mishaps" or ridiculous comments here and there. Fortunately its all in good fun and I actually find it comforting and endearing that people have already come to know me so well. Also I received a new and one of the few nick names I have from Nick (the one man, who is gay, in our group of 15 girls), he calls me "Nora Torah." Definitely had never heard that one before. There is actually another Nora here in this group of 200 students, but she spells her name "Noura" instead. Never heard that one either. Anyways, I have even been teased by the president Todd Whaler as well. I had dropped some change, and mumbled a little something to myself (thinking I was walking alone in the hallway), but when I looked up Todd was right there and oh so cleverly asked "Talking to your imaginary friend there, Nora?" I of course responded yes, giggled a bit, and kept walking with slight embarrassment tagging along behind me. But in all honesty, it really is lots of fun and I have been laughing a lot due to everyones great sense of humor.

Today was fabulous as well. We went to Monte Cassino which is a Monastery at the top of this massive mountain, which gave a few people in the group severe panic attacks including Nika. (Quick sidenote: I had NO idea how surrounded with beautiful mountains we would be in Italy, but it has been quite the pleasant surprise). Anyways, I have never met people so afraid of heights, though this bus ride irked everyone in a way that made them question the status of their life in commuting up this steep mountain on a large bus in the pouring rain. Beforehand we had stopped for lunch at a fancy hotel, free wine once again, pasta once again, and covered in cheese once again. I don't know how I am going to survive on this diet! Anyways, the Monastery was absolutely incredible. It overlooked this beautiful city, and despite the pouring rain the view was delightful. We got to hear the monks chant after a full tour of the place. The Monastery was bombed and reconstructed 4 times during WWII which is totally unbelievable and incredible. It was where Saint Benedict resided as I recall, and his remains are in the church on the very top of this construction. A few parts of the Monastery that were underground had not been destroyed during the bombing, but most of it had been an exact replica and reconstruction of what it had been prior to the US attack. The church was THE most beautiful church I have EVER seen. I can't explain to you how amazing it was, I gasped out loud if that helps set the tone. It was covered in gold with every single piece of the building covered in fantastic art. The organ was massive and beautiful as well. Unfortunately my camera died, and I was incredibly frustrated since I thought I had captured the best of the Monastery before reaching the church. People even asked why I wasn't taking pictures because they know how picture crazy I am, and how I would have probably returned with 400 pictures just from today. But there are plenty of people who took pictures that I can steal. There was a downstairs part of the church that was covered in HIGHLY detailed mosaics and each tiny piece had a splash of real gold on it to make it shimmer against the light. I hope to post some pictures of it soon because words can hardly do it justice. We left around 5, it was still pouring rain and miserable outside. We stopped at a gas station where I knocked over a bottle of wine in front of the 30 people waiting in line to buy their snacks. This type of thing seems to happen to me way more frequently than not, fortunately the bottle did not break, but everyone got a nice chuckle out of the occurrence. I am assuming this could be considered one of my "mishaps." On the bus ride home I read some of the book I am completely enthralled with right now called "Eat, Pray, Love." I absolutely love Elizabeth Gilberts writing style. I find her extremely entertaining and she makes me laugh every so often as well. She has made me so excited to explore Rome, and find the sights she talks about in her section about Italy. The thing she really has me looking forward to the most is sitting in different coffee shops around the city and observing. I LOVE people watching, and she has made it sound like a prime place to do so in the city of Rome.

Anyways, classes start tomorrow and I should really head to bed since it is already 2:30 am here. I am taking International Politics which is a peace studies course from 9:30 to 10:45 every Monday and Wednesday. I am taking Sociology of Contemporary Fashion and Design on the same days except from 10:55-12:10pm. I am hoping this will help me understand the high stature of fashion here, gain some tips, and then will possibly go buy myself some new clothes! I also have Italian 101 tomorrow and Thursdays from 12:20-1:35pm. I am really hoping to start understanding and being able to speak the language soon! I am then taking the History of Rome to Constantine on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9:30-10:45am, and lastly my Italian Film Studies course on Thursdays from 10:55-12:10. But of course every Tuesday we will get together and watch a film from 7-9:30pm. I am really looking forward to all of my classes. It is unfortunate they are all so early, but it results in my being out by either noon or 1:30 everyday which means I can explore as much as my heart could possibly desire. I also am considering participating in this tutoring program which the program offers. I can either babysit and tutor Italian children which not only pays, but can help me with my Italian. Or I can tutor an Italian peer with their english and then they can help me with my Italian. This gig also pays. I would LOVE to do this, I think it would be an ideal way to really become immersed in the culture. I can't decide which I would prefer so if anyone has suggestions let me know. I feel as though I am getting repetitive because I am so sleepy. But lastly, I will officiate my stays here with the Italian government tomorrow. Give them all my documents, buy my books, etc. So its now or never, so I guess I'm not turning back and running home. See you in 4 and a half months! I know my mom will be thrilled about this.

Anyways, goodnight everyone and I will speak with you all soon!

Buona Sera, Ciao.
Nora Claire.

6 comments:

  1. Well first of all, YOU DON'T EVEN LIKE STAR WARS- not fair. and second of all GET OFF YOUR CHEESE HIGH HORSE!

    Seriously, sounds like you are getting an amazing cultural experience and your classes sound like they are going to be incredibly fun to take.

    I think you should tutor an Italian peer......I think that sounds best (and you know how I feel about kids....).

    I love reading these, keep them up! I miss you! All my love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah agree with Cathy with the Star Wars thing, take lots of pictures so us WHO DO love Star Wars can enjoy somewhat! But anyway I also feel the peer idea is also the best. That way the person who you work with will be able to relate to your age groups lifestyle and can give you a good perspective on Rome. Also speaking of cheese this is the place to learn to love it, it sounds like, do the Italians fancy pickles as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way it should say I agree with Cathy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. NORA,

    Gosh, your writing is excellent! It's weird to be sitting on the other side of someone's travel journal, but now I finally understand when people kept telling me to put up pictures, and I would think "WHO DO THEY THINK I AM, I DON'T HAVE THE TIME!". Being in my apartment and reading this, all I can think of is that I WANT TO SEE PHOTOS! Anyway, this is all to say that I am excited about this journal, and for your trip to Tunisia!

    Regarding your classes: they sound really fantastic, seriously. I would die to take a class about peace studies! International politics, internationally! It'll be a cool perspective. The same goes for the fashion class!

    Ok, finally: Without a doubt, do the peer to peer tutoring because it's the best way to meet Italian kids your age and become familiar with the best parts.

    Alrightttt, skype wit'chu later

    Love, always,

    Haley

    P.S. FOR GOD'S SAKE, if you are going to insist upon not eating cheese, make an exception for buffalo mozzarella (remember, we had it on that pizza one time in Mpls, before I went to work, at that place that does pizza in like 30 seconds). Italy is known for it, and I think you'd even like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK Nora, I'm settin' up skype now. My input is to go with the adult who you help with English and who then helps you with Italiano. That will move you faster, I'd think than working with children. I'm still sick. Goin' to doc tomorrow. Ez is in basement playing guitar on "Should I Stay or Should I Go." Hilarious. Love you, dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always hated babysitting, I go along with the crowd, a peer, and you can eaarn money!!!!. I will call you tomorrow, hope you can sleep tonight have a great day with your classes and I agree with Haleey, PICTURES!!!!!

    ReplyDelete