Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"Baby went to Amsterdam...."

Catching up once again. I forgot to mention Tuesday night the JFRC put on a huge karaokee show. It was actually a blast. We all got 2 free beers and danced and sang for about 3 hours straight. It was essentially a massive shit show of wasted Americans singing old N'sync, Destiny's child, and of course all the fun 80s and 90s rock we grew up with. The SLA's have been putting on great events and karaokee was definitely a successful one. Especially for a Tuesday night when everyone had class the next day.

So yes, then Wednesday was Calcio which I skipped out on. There are weekly updates for Calcio, a comedic editorial type thing. It is one of the most sarcastic and most hilarious commentaries I have ever read. There is a whole team of students who write it, but Matt Collins is the primary writer. It makes fun of everyone, and there are 3 classic pictures randomly printed of Calcio players stolen from facebook. It also repeatedly makes fun of Todd Whaller which we all enjoy. "Not-so-baller-Whaller" is one of his several nicknames.

Thursday we all had class and headed off to the airport for Brussels around 5pm. We waited for the 990 for a good half hour when we finally realized it would only be 2 Euros more to just take a cab and not have to worry about all the public transportation being on time. So we walked back to the JFRC hopped in a cab thinking we would be there in no time. Unfortunately it was the middle of rush hour so our taxi driver decided to take all of the back streets to get us to the airport rather than the freeway. The taxi ride-which should only take about a half hour-ended up taking about an hour and 25 minutes.

Let me explain to you a few fun facts about Ryan Air. Although the flights can be dirt cheap (roughly 1 euro one way), the taxes are usually at least 20 euro each way, plus a 10 euro fine each way to check in at the gate. If you are not an Italian citizen you are not allowed to check in online, therefore the service cost of relating with people costs us an extra 20 euro. What has this world come to? SO our roundtrip flight to Brussels which was supposedly 1.50 each way, ended up being around 70 euros total. So that is just fact number one about Ryan Airs deceptive ways. Secondly, you are only allowed to bring one tiny tiny bag which I have addressed before. It can also be no heavier than 10 kilos which doesn't seem bad, but really its VERY easy to go over. Last little trick Ryan Air likes to play on its customers so they can play to rob you of all you are worth is the 40 minute deadline to check in. If you check in one minute past the 40 minute deadline to boarding time you have to buy an entirely new ticket. Our flight was at 8:45 and we made it there right at 8. With only 5 minutes to spare. Our flight ended up being delayed which is typical of Ryan Air as well. Usual boarding time takes place when the plan e is supposed to be taking off. Lastly, every single airport that Ryan Air travels to is about 80 km away from the city center. So on top of a ridiculous amount of hassle with the airline, you have to manage your way to the city center after the flight.

Once we finally made it into Brussels we took a cab to our hostel which had already shut down entirely. We dumped our stuff in the room and went to a strange hookah bar/restaurant across the street. We had a couple Belgian beers and talked with the bar owners. Some 60 year old man was asking Lauren to be his girlfriend. It was an odd encounter. As we were leaving a whole crew of drag queens walked in and noticebly checked out Nick as well. We were all starving so we headed down the street for some Kabobs which were beyond delicious. Perfect midnight snack in Brussels. It was freezing and we were exhausted so we rushed back to our hostel only to find the 3 loudest snorers that I have ever encountered in my entire life. They even beat my dad's horrific sleep apnea! I literally thought one girl was on the verge of death her snoring was so loud. To say the least I got slim to none of the sleep I desperately needed for a packed weekend.

We woke up early and headed to the Atomium, a huge atom looking structure that was built for the World Fair in 1958. It was the first large world fair of the post-war period and wasn't intended to survive past the exhibition, but its popularity allowed it to remain a major landmark of Brussels -- kind of like the Eiffel tower. It symbolizes iron crystal magnified 165 billion times! There are 9 large spheres connected by 20 tubes at a height of 102 meters in the sky. Its an incredible piece of architecture, I have never seen anything like it before. Lauren and I decided to sit that one out because we were already going to be paying lots of entrance fees in Amsterdam. After the rest of the crew toured the spheres we returned to the city center to see the peeing boy fountain which was cute. Not quite sure what the hype is there. On our way to the Grand Plaza we ate some scrumptious Belgian waffles. Fresh hot waffles with strawberries and nutella. We were all in heaven. And covered in chocolate of course. We tried to clean up while walking to the Grand Plaza which was probably the most beautiful piazza I have yet to see. Beautiful, intricate, and unique buildings covering every wall of this massive square. I can't even begin to describe how gorgeous it was, and it was daylight! Something I have noticed about outdoor architecture is the beauty is magnified times 100 at night. Personal preference I guess, but the Trevi fountain, the Eiffel tower, the Colosseum, they all have so much more depth and elegance during the night with all of the lights hitting their most glorious angles. Anyways, we went back to the hostel, grabbed our stuff and headed for the train station to AMSTERDAM!

We got into Amsterdam around 8pm, train ride was fast and but nice being able to relax for a while before a rambunxious night in Amsterdam. We happened to be staying in the redlight district, the main drag of all the fun night life scenes. Molly was in Amsterdam as well, and happened to be staying a 5 minute walk down the same street. So while others got ready I went on a mission to find her. I found her, but she was on a tour with her program and lets just say Amsterdam had already gotten the best of her, so presumably I did not see her again that night. I tried calling her around 11:30 and she was already in bed! Anyways, our night continued by going to a couple Cafe's, trying to get into the Sex museum but it closed. We went back to the main drag where some could no longer function, in fact I had to bring Nick back to the hostel (mind you we were all also extremely exhausted from the continuously interrupted sleep from the night before). When I brought Nick back there were about 20 guys partying in our hostel room who turned out to be complete ass holes (sorry family) but its the honest truth. They were furious that "we" wanted to go to bed, and were accusing us of inappropriate things. It was just an unfortunate situation. But once I did as I do, they eventually left and I put Nick to bed. We went to a couple bars but Nika and I weren't content with just sitting around at a cafe so we dominated the town. We wandered around until 4 am. Checking out different bars, cafes, and eating tons of treats along the way. There were sex shops, entire shops dedicate to condoms, and endless smoker friendly shops left and right. It was quite the scene and I was on cloud 9, it was a riot.

The next morning we were awake and at a bagel shop by 11. We hadn't had bagels in so long! We were all elated! The bagels were delicious with avocados, and tomatos, and of course wonderful cream cheese. It was a good way to start the morning. Amsterdam is beautiful by the by. Its known for its sex, drugs, and alcohol, but I think Amsterdam is such a beautiful city with all of the canals weaving through it. Every other street you cross a bridge, with boathouses everywhere. I really admired the beauty of Amsterdam.

We had decided the day before we should go to Anne Franks house first to get the incredibly depressing stuff out of the way. I had been there before but this time was a completely different experience. Being a child and seeing something like that, and becoming an adult and seeing something like that are two very radically different experiences. We all had tears in our eyes. There were two things that struck me the most. One, the pencil drawn lines with dates on the walls of the annex. The lines were of the height grown by each child while living in the annex hiding. It was devastating to think of these children and families locked up in darkness, not even allowed to see daylight for over two years in fear of jeopardizing their lives. The holocaust has always been a topic that I feel incredibly passionate about and have studied for years on end, so to see something so real and personal. The simplicity of the difference in height while confined simply because they were Jews, really moved me. There are no words. Its devastating, and the fact that such devastating genocide still happening right now. Ugh, thats a whole other discussion. Anyways... The second thing that made my heart sink was the photograph of Otto Frank standing in the annex probably 30 years after the war. Its the last image you see as you leave the museum. A black and white photograph, you can feel his pain standing in the empty room where he spent over 2 years of his life hidden with his family. None of which are still alive. It said that he had requested that the annex remain unfurnished which was also such a painful thing to even think about.

On a lighter note, we left there for the Heineken museum. We needed something to relieve our minds and hearts, so why not check out how the Heineken beer is brewed? (Catch the sarcasm?) We took a tram to the southern part of the city, and paid a ridiculous amount of money to get in but the price ended up being worth it. We got to try all of the ingredients put into the beer including: water, barley, hops, and yeast. Not the best tasting stuff prior to it being brewed. Then you get to see the huge brewery room, massive round copper "things." I really have no idea how else to describe them. Next they "Brew You!" You go on this ride where you get brewed, you get tossed up and down, water splashed on you, bubbles floating everywhere. They call it a fantastic 4-D trip, "Hold on tight and enjoy the ride!" That was pretty fun and then you finally get a "free" glass of cold delicious Heineken beer. You go through a disco looking room full of screens displaying all of the international advertising and global market which Heineken caters to. Walk through a couple more rooms, galleries and learn the history of Heineken, a couple more pictures, and then you get your last "free" glass of that tasty Heineken -- "The world's most international brand!" So there is my little endorsement for Heineken... Afterwards we went to a small pub around the corner. Very local place because the beer was cheap and filled with old dutch people playing pool. It was a fun location where the 10 of us socialized and drank some more Heineken.

We headed back to the hostel as it started to get dark, and since it was Valentine's Day we decided to have everyone go out for a romantic dinner. I eventually got a hold of Molly as well and after getting ready I went and picked her up (by foot). We went out for a phenomenal Vietnamese dinner. It was a really cute place and delicious food. We ate, we drank, we laughed. It was a fun way to spend Valentine's Day, and lovely to finally see a familiar face: my dear Molly. In Amsterdam of all places!

After dinner we successfully made it to the sex museum. It was so graphic I won't even go into any further detail than to just say I probably never need to go back there again. There were some cool parts, but it was WAY intense. Even for us 21 year olds. So I would most likely not recommend it to anyone, but especially anyone above or below the ages of 21 as well. Afterwards I met Molly's friends and we headed to a bar called Absinthe. Sidenote: Before I left my mother gave me a HUGE Europe for christmas book called "Europe on a Shoestring: Big trips on Small Budgets." I am eternally grateful, but am sorry to say that it is COMPLETELY inaccurate. It was published in 2007 yet all of the prices are completely inaccurate. As well as all of the happening bars they suggest being closed. So we trekked too far, for a closed Absinthe bar. I hope it can still help Carrie and I out on our month long adventure (CAN'T WAIT Ms. Carrie Binder!). Anyways, we found another couple bars in the area. We all split up because the group was too big, but I hung out with Molly and another girl Rachel. I ended up drinking a wee bit too much, and in combination with other things I got thrown over the edge. So this was the second time I have gotten sick since being here. Plus I am still convinced that the first time in Sienna it was from pure exhaustion. I ended up heading home around 3 after a lot of bar hopping and bringing Molly home. We all woke up too late to make it to the Van Gogh museum which was incredibly disappointing for some. But I am returning with Carrie in May. I intend on renting a bike (everyone rides bikes everywhere -- I almost got hit by bike riders at least 5 times) and riding to every art museum in town. It will be warm, and I will even get to see a Lily Allen concert! So excited. We got bagels to revive ourselves for the long journey of getting back to Rome. We had to catch the train to a bus, and a bus to the plane, the plane to another bus, the bus to the metro, and another bus to walk a half a mile back to the JFRC. It was a good 11 hours of solid traveling, but worth it of course!

Monday we were all exhausted but I received and email from the head of the english department informing me I got a tutoring job! I was thrilled. I am tutoring a 15 year old girl named Viviana, who goes by Vivi. She is only a year and a half older than Chloe. Way more innocent than her too! But I will be tutoring her every Tuesday from 1:30-2:30. I also found out about these excersize classes taught by this wonderful, energetic, incredibly athletic, and flexible woman downstairs. Every Tuesday and Thursday from 4-5. There is a 5-6 class on Tuesdays but it is more aerobics and I am just not cut out, nor coordinated enough for that stuff. So I have been going as frequently as possible. She KILLS us. After Tuesday I couldn't walk for a solid week, but I still forced myself to go that Thursday. She is a professional does these classes all over Rome. She is adorable, motivating, and SO much fun. There is a large group of us, all women, who she has inspired to actually work out and somewhat enjoy it.

We saw another film Tuesday night as well. It was totally absurd. Angels were coming down from the sky, some man had magical powers, it was NO neo-realist film so we were all in shock and not quite sure what to make of it. Wednesday after class Lauren and I walked around the neighborhood again, did some grocery shopping, and stopped into our favorite little pizza place to visit Walter. We picked the wrong time and because it was during the siesta hours the place was packed. We'll have to go back another time.

But funny story while we were there. Let me just start by saying Lauren HATES tuna. She probably hates tuna as much as I hate cheese. Maybe even a little more. When I initially bought tuna (which turned out to be cat food), she wouldn't even let me open the can IN our room. Thats how much she hates it. Anyways, she decided to be spontaneous and get a new kind of pizza, with olives, cheese, and peppers. First bite she says, "God this cheese is strange." She kept eating it, making a few more comments like: "I don't know what kind of cheese this is... I can't decide whether or not I like it. I've never met a cheese I don't like!" She was beyond confused (she is one of you avid cheese lovers). Within the last few bites she decided to dig her finger around in the cheese to try and figure out what kind it might be (mind you they heat up the pizza and melt the cheese so everything is all gooped together). Within a matter of seconds she saw TUNA all mixed in with the cheese! It was hilarious! All the more hilarious because she knew there was something wrong with the pizza the entire time but ate the whole thing anyways. Sorry. It was essential to the day and made me laugh for a good half hour.

We tied in Calcio that night. Played against the orange team, my History professor plays on that team and he heard me curse several times. I would apologize, but he assured me he understood, as he kept swearing as well. Calcio is hilarious and so much fun. There is a team that has gone DEFEATED the entire season. Giallo--the yellow team. But their team spirit trumps everyone elses. I think they have just come to find humor in the fact that they most likely will not win one single game over the entire season. Where as there are 2 other teams who have gone undefeated and are stacked. Somehow the teams were unevenly distributed, but its all in good fun. We had a lot of fun at BP (beer and pizza) as well. I have yet to drink at this after party, but we were playing lots of fun drinking games with about 20 people around a table.

Okay, well thats all for now. Carnivale in Venice is next!
God Bless. Or something....
LOVE!
Nora

No comments:

Post a Comment